Tuesday, November 15, 2011

I am , right now, not sure who I like in the book, and who I should hate. I should probably check back into the Odyssey, but I'm writing this in the middle of Algebra, (sorry Mr. Alspach, even though you'll hopefully never read this blog entry).

First thing first, I thought Calypso was the bad person in all of this!! Suddenly it seems, to me anyway, that she's just a lonely witch-lady living on an island, who happens to honestly, really like Ulysses. It's not her fault the gods don't strand any other vagabond on her island.

Second thing on my complaint agenda, I wonder when Hermes (or his Roman counterpart, Mercury) will make an appearance, if at all. Isn't he the god of traveling and what not? So why is Minerva helping them all the time? No other gods help Telly and Ulysses so far in the book. Maybe it's beacuse they're Minerva's favorites.

2 comments:

  1. I was thinking the same thing about Calypso! I thought she was supposed to me a mean old witch holding Ulysses against his will. I thought he would be tied up and starving! But Calypso is just a nymph goddess who lives on a beautiful island and loves Ulysses. It wouldn't be that bad to live there, except he has a family. (and I wouldn't want to become immortal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about Calypso. I mean, really, didn't she already know that Ulysses had a family that he cared about? I don't like Calypso becuase she kept Ulysses after it was obvious that neither of them would profit, but I can sort of understand that she was lonely. The gods are also confusing? Who is who? And who is so-and-so supporting?

    ReplyDelete